"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me." -John 15:4

Mar 17, 2014

Seeds to Sow

When I go on a drive in my car, I always do one of three things: #1. Pump up the jams and sing as loudly as I can until everyone around me, especially the confused old man in the car next to me at the stop light, gives me the most judgmental looks I've ever been given. (I'm not even kidding, one time some kid recorded me rocking out to One Direction... Good times...) #2. Worship God and pray for His help or guidance in my life. and #3. Listen to a podcast sermon by one of my favorite preachers of the Word.
Well, when I drive back and forth from Valley Forge and home, I am blessed with plenty of time to fit all three of these in those long 4 hours.

After rocking out to some "Don't Stop Believin'," "Eye of the Tiger," and many many more classics, I decided it was time to get some Jesus in me. I pulled out my iPod, turned to my podcast app and started listening to a sermon, (All whilst keeping my eyes on the road... Talk about skill.)

In his sermon, "The Disastrous Results of Uselessness," Damon Thompson brings up the Genesis 38 scripture verse of Onan, the man who "spilled his seed" on the ground and was killed by God for his wickedness. What was the first thing I thought to myself when he brought this up? 
'THIS OUTTA BE GOOD!'
 Little did I know his next few statements were gonna completely change the way I look at life.

What is the importance of the seed? Why would God kill a man for doing something like this? Well, because "God did not send him in that room to stimulate the bride, he sent him in there to impregnate the bride." What does that mean? How does that even apply to me?

Well, I'm gonna tell you how...

We all have seeds around us that God has provided for us. Some of them we don't even know are seeds. We are blessed with the opportunity to wield the Sword of the Spirit, we have access to hundreds of books about God and the Bible, and we have access to so much wealth (even if you don't feel like it), we have access to so many people and so many strangers and we neglect to realize that all that we have, all that is good in us is given to us by God himself! These are SEEDS that we have and we are to sow and pour into the lives of those around us. God does not send us to the church on Sunday mornings so we can stimulate our senses and make ourselves feel good and then spill these seeds into social media and fast food. We are CALLED to take those seeds and to produce fruit! If we don't produce fruit, we are deceiving ourselves! What happens to all the vines and trees that produce bad fruit? They are ALL taken out of the fields and burned. We are MADE to build disciples and build ourselves in Christ. We are blessed with more riches than we realize and many of us use them to suit our own selfish desires. 

 In the day of judgement, God will not judge you on the sins you committed because, if you repented, he has already cast them as far as the east is from the west. No, he will judge you on what you have done with the seeds that you were given. Think about it.

Are you planting your seeds? Are you craving something more? I urge you all to use these seeds, all that you have, and give them up to God and call on Him to lead you to the harvest. It may be uncomfortable at first but it will only bring you into deeper comfort in Christ. Christ did not die so that we can feel better about ourselves. He died so that we can have life in him.

I made this blog to plant seeds with what God has given me. Even if it's something as little as a laptop in my modern eyes. I honestly have no idea how to manage a blog, but I want God to use this however He wants. Even if it is only for my own personal edification, I feel like I am supposed to do this. I feel like I should do something with this seed.
 

God Bless,
Buddy Crabtree

No comments:

Post a Comment